I attended a local workshop on abstract painting. The instructor wanted us to experiment with paints, brushes, various objects as stamps, texture, etc. We were supposed to play. Beyond the painting itself, this was not an easy assignment. After 40 years of making themed bulletin boards, the idea of just playing around was not something that I was able to get into 100%. However, I did have something in mind that I wanted to "respresent." The painting above is the final product. The one below is my practice on paper. I'm not hanging either one up on my wall. I'm posting this under "Crafts." If I ever feel proud of one of my creations, I'll open "Painting" as a new category.
As a new member of the Carolina Pine Quilters guild, I received a kit with basic instructions on how to make my badge. Since I am new to all things related to quilting and sewing, this was another challenge. Paper piecing for the tree. Cross-stitching on aida that was skewed. Stich in the ditch around the borders. Poking the corners out (total fail). Hand closing the opening once I turned the badge right side out. Whew! Although the tree and the cross-stitch square below it are centered relative to each other, I somehow messed up when I sewed the borders on. Since the fabric was fraying quite a bit, I had a good excuse to not rip out the seams and try again. I went with the adage that sometimes done is better than perfect! I'm still deciding which one of the three ribbons to pick for my neck strap. I'm not sure, but I am leaning toward the one in the middle.